Tuesday, May 13, 2014

#ThisDiva Plays Tour Guide!



It's a little surprising that it took four months for me to have my first houseguests descend from the mainland. Not surprising at all that my first two guests actually overlapped this weekend...but you can never be surrounded by too many great friends! 


It's a great thing to have friends and family visit who have never before set foot on the island. It gives you the opportunity to explore areas and places you wouldn't normally find yourself. How many years did I live in NYC and the only times I would visit the Empire State Building, The Brooklyn Bridge, The Statue of Liberty, Museum of Natural History or hundreds of other iconic NYC landmarks unless I was playing tour guide to my guests. And when you see them - I mean stop and really pay attention - you remember how awesome it is to live in such an eclectic city filled with new adventures around every corner  - and realize that on even your best days, you take it for granted.


I must admit, having lived here for only four months I felt like I was playing more tour"ist" than tour "guide", but #ThisDivaTries and sometimes #ThisDivaEpicallyFails, but not this time!


We did the typical Waikiki thing, which don't me wrong - was awesome! We managed to beat the crowds since this time of year isn't really peak tourist season...and we scored big at the Sheraton Waikiki. Tip to locals and visitors: you can lay in a hammock, take a dip in the infinity pool or read a book tucked away in your private cabana...all while overlooking the ocean and view of Diamond Head...and non-hotel guests are welcomed!


We also took it to the road and drove around the island making pit stops to snorkel at Haunama Bay, take pictures of Chinaman's Hat and of course EAT - where we stopped off at one of the many shrimp trucks on North Shore side. We even managed to fit in some shopping at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet to buy local gifts and treats to take back home.


 The weather wasn't always sunshine and rainbows, but even when it rained we managed to find the perfect hole-in-the-wall spot to take refuge and have the time of our lives!



No comments:

Post a Comment